Monday, March 7, 2011

The Graphic Novel

I am currently entering the world of the Graphic Novel. It is a world that I scoffed at on many an occasion. Deriding it with a 'pah' or something less polite. I had in my head visions of lone teenage boys over-ridden with testosterone and antisocial behaviour. Surely there was nothing there that I needed to know. Luckily it turned out that was a world that I didn't need to enter.
I entered in on a slightly different path, one occupied by the book 'Maus' by Art Spiegelman. What a level to enter on! To say that I was blown away is putting it mildly. There was me and the book, a Sunday afternoon, a sofa, a blanket, lunch and even dinner. I was left reeling; complex, moving, tenacious, disturbing. Talk about blowing my ill conceived notions out of the water in one fowl swoop.
This was quickly followed up by 'A Drifting Life' by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. 'Persepolis' by Marjane Satrapi is next up and 'Fun Home' by Alison Bechdel is on the horizon.
More recommendations greatly appreciated ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10