Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Almond craze

So at work we are all partaking in the giving up of something for Lent. Not for religious reasons but more so from a 'can i do it' point of view. Needless to say within a few days we were finding replacement foods using what now may be termed our new catchphrase : 'technically speaking it's not ...'. We even have charts going with weekend bonus stars ... we're really busy here, I swear.
Us humans really are hilarious; we put these self imposed rules on ourselves and then immediately go about finding ways around them, what are we like?!
I will be the first to hold my hands up and admit I am a snack addict. I love munching on whatever happens to be to hand. My excuse is that I have crazy blood sugars, which actually (no technically about it) is true. So I try my best to surround myself with more healthy fare. And this is where the Almonds come in.
I found some Almonds in my press which were not exactly the freshest and in an effort not to waste relatively good food, i threw them in the oven (180) for about ten minutes. When I took them out I tossed them with a good drizzle of Olive Oil and a sprinkling of Maldon salt, left them to cool. Easy, yes. Tasty, yes. Addictive, most definitely yes. Healthy, kind of. I brought them into work to share the 'we're not off them for lent' love and it has started a bit of a craze. Theres all sort of new toppings being explored; chilli, sugar, em salt.
This is the first time in a long time I've given up anything. Last night on the sofa reading I would have murdered a packet of Jaffa cakes or choc chip cookies. So I had a cracker instead and went to bed early. It's not like I eat that food all the time, but it's when you get a notion and you can't fulfill it. I can't wait for a quality chocolate fest on Easter followed by that distinctly nauseous feeling ... Ahhh only five more weeks to go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10