Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Next Big Thing ... (blog tagging thingy)

How the Next Big Thing blog hop works
An author answers ten questions and then tags authors to do the same thing the following week on the same day, which in this case is a Thursday.

The force of nature June Caldwell tagged me in her post and so here is my attempt ...

1) What is the working title of your next book?
"A Body Apart" is the title of the book I'm not yet finished. So technically speaking it is my 'next' book. If I knew the title, let alone the content, of my actual next book I'd be laughing. Anyway back to the book. A journey, in the mythic sense, of a girl/woman/lady (this is no time to be politically correct) as she attempts to discard the skin of her current life to make way for something that does not yet have a shape, and how scary that is.

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
How easy it is for a life to close in around you when your mind and your body are at odds. How easy it is for a person to disappear into the chasm that that conflict creates in a life.
I also went on one of those terribly cliched around the world trips. And it was fantastic in every way.  The journey itself wasn't so much the influence as the cahones it took to leave what I had to leave and head off by myself to do it.

3) What genre does your book fall under?
Whats that now?

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Am currently fostering a girl crush on Emily Blunt so I'm sure she'd be delighted to do it.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Fear is the maker of us all.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I can only hope that one day my work and I might have the opportunity to be represented by an agency.

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
Two years.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I know what I want to say but I don't think I can bring myself to say it out loud.

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Everybody writes from a place of their own experience. How else could you do it?

10) What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
There is a very awkward and ungainly sex scene about three quarters in.


Phew .....
I here by tag my fellow St. Andrews Alumni. Kristin Livingston and Mark Cooper.
Kristin writes Young Adult fiction and puts me to shame by having already written loads more books that I will ever write in my lifetime.
Multi-talented Mark is in the bands Distant Signal and Uffmoor Woods Music Club. He is also a fine poet, short listed for, too many to count competitions, including the very prestigious Eric Gregory and Bridport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10